So I’m jumping on the blog-bandwagon. I figured that for the next year while I’m out of the country in Bangladesh, instead of bothering people with a flood of impersonal mass emails, I would post it all in a one of these hip and trendy blog thingies, so that those interested could read about my life as they pleased. I have an affinity towards digression and half of what I write will probably be more like journal entries for myself to reread one day than anything else... but enjoy...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

All smiles

I got to go to Erin's work one day... it was wonderful... just this feeling of being alive. She worked for UNICEF, was assessing the teaching methods of a local NGO that had hundreds of schools all around Dhaka. It's interesting because she told me about how some of the teacher's meetings and complaints of parents were the exact same that she had heard while working as a public school teacher in the Bronx. Parents wondering why the hell their kids have to even learn to read, because the parents didn't read and they're fine, so why should the kids (no mockery intended... these are legitimate educational barriers to overcome). I have to admit that I am a bit jealous that Erin got out in 'the field' more than I did... I don't have complaints with my office life in Dhaka, but getting to work with these beautiful kids... just wonderful.












Of course had to take a motorcycle through Dhaka and then through the slums to get there.




I had to sing a song for everyone... I love singing, but when put on the spot, its always tough to remember... and Bangladeshis are big on singing. Several other occasions I was put on the spot to just sing any song in front of group of stranger... I went with the ever classic twinkle twinkle little star...





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home