So I’m jumping on the blog-bandwagon. I figured that for the next year while I’m out of the country in Bangladesh, instead of bothering people with a flood of impersonal mass emails, I would post it all in a one of these hip and trendy blog thingies, so that those interested could read about my life as they pleased. I have an affinity towards digression and half of what I write will probably be more like journal entries for myself to reread one day than anything else... but enjoy...

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bangkok

Stayed at the Asia Airport Hotel in Bangkok. Didn't even go into town that night... just spoiled myself with some McDonlds for dinner. It's great, all the Ronald McDonald statues in Bangkok have his hands together in an Asian greeting... very culturally sensitive.

The Real American Hero

The hotel I stayed in was sort of attached to this mall. It was a bit strange... It was an enormous mall, 5 stories high, what looked like a mile long, but almost every store sold the exact same thing! electronic gadets! Literally hundreds of stores selling computers, computer parts, bags, mp3 players, PDAs, computer camers...endless gadgets... I remember at the airport there was a lady from the British Embassy yelling at the airport staff about the disorganization of Thai Airways... she said, it's understandable that Dhaka is disorganized; Bangladesh is a developing country. Thailand is not and has no excuse! I don't even know what the offical economic status of Thailand is, but the growth of the middle class was very apparent in the area of town I was in. It lacked the whole developing country craziness...

It turned that the flight the next morning got cancelled because there was a strike at the Dhaka airport by the bagage handlers and no planes were landing... go figure... spent another night in Bangkok, just reading and writing in my journal. Had KFC for dinner this time... i'm the worst... I headed to Dhaka September 28th...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home