So I’m jumping on the blog-bandwagon. I figured that for the next year while I’m out of the country in Bangladesh, instead of bothering people with a flood of impersonal mass emails, I would post it all in a one of these hip and trendy blog thingies, so that those interested could read about my life as they pleased. I have an affinity towards digression and half of what I write will probably be more like journal entries for myself to reread one day than anything else... but enjoy...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Waggling

I went to a book to get a copy of the Lonely Planet – Bangladesh. Barnes and Noble didn’t have it back it back in the states, in Denmark it was about $50, and I couldn’t find it in Sri Lanka or Bangkok. It’s funny, the bookstore had it, but it was a ‘pirated version.’ The front and back cover were legit, but every page was a black and white photocopy. Definitely seems like a more tedious form of pirating than just burning CDs and DVDs.

The Bangladesh Lonely Planet describes beautifully one of my favorite aspects of South Asian culture that I have been striving to emulate: the waggle.

“Did you know?... The subcontinental head waggle is a ubiquitous form of nonverbal communication. Waggling the head from side to side in response to a question may mean ‘no’, or ‘not sure’, while a single tilt to one side is a sign of assent or agreement.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home